Rotherhithe and Bermondsey Choral Society Spring 2017 concert

Click to view map
When:
1st April 2017 @ 19:00 Europe/London Timezone
2017-04-01T19:00:00+01:00
2017-04-01T19:15:00+01:00
Where:
St. James's Church
Thurland Rd
London SE16 4AA
UK
Cost:
Free

 

Rotherhithe Bermondsey choral society spring concert at St James’ Church, Bermondsey on Saturday 1 Apri

Rotherhithe and Bermondsey Choral Society Spring 2017 concert

The Rotherhithe Bermondsey Choral Society (RBCS) is a friendly non-audition mixed-voice amateur community choir based in Rotherhithe, Southwark, south-east London.

The aim of the society is to practise and perform good music to suit a variety of tastes, and have a good time in the process.

They rehearse from 8.00 to 9.45 pm every Tuesday during term-time at the Time & Talents community centre, St Marychurch Street, Rotherhithe, SE16 4JE.

Spring term 2017 runs from  Tuesday 10 January to Tuesday 28 March working on music for this spring concert at St James’ Church, Bermondsey on Saturday 1 April, including Fauré’s Requiem and Howard Goodall’s Eternal Light.

New members are always welcome for all voice parts. If you enjoy singing and are interested in joining us, please contact us, or just come along to our next rehearsal. Please see our Join us page for more details of membership.

About the music

Howard Goodall was born in Bromley, Kent and educated at New College School, Stowe School and Lord Williams’s School and read music at Christ Church, Oxford.

He has written music for musical theatre and television as well as his choral works.

In September 2008, his Eternal Light: A Requiem was premiered by Rambert Dance Company to choreography by Rambert Dance Company’s Artistic Director: Mark Baldwin. Eternal Light: A Requiem has now had over 400 live performances across the world.

The concert is free. Donations are welcome

 

St James Church

St James's Church in Bermondsey

St James’s Church in Bermondsey

Travellers through Bermondsey all know St James’ Church as a landmark – by road, rail and from the air, the dragon on the steeple rides calmly amid the tower blocks and acres of housing estates.

Before 1829, when the church was consecrated, the only church in the whole of Bermondsey was the Parish Church of St Mary Magdalen, at the end of Bermondsey Street. In 1724 at the Bishop’s Visitation, it was recorded “In Bermondsey there are 9,000 people”.
The only houses were along Bermondsey Wall, which was part of the only road or highway from the City out into Kent. Here wealthy merchants had magnificent houses. The first streets in our Parish were Salisbury Street and Janeway Street. Here a rich West India Merchant built a house and called it Jamaica House, after the island from which his fortune was derived. By 1710 there were enough poor people living here for it to be necessary to provide a workhouse for 50 people.

In the 18th century ropemakers settled here and in Bevington Street, Farncombe Street and New Church Street (later called Llewelyn Street) ropewalks were established and houses sprang up so that it became necessary to build a new road – Jamaica Road.
Between 1825 and 1830 our end of Abbey Street and a few houses along the line of Spa Road were built. In Jamaica Road only the south side was inhabited in large houses with a view from back windows over open country. As late as 1870/80 there was a farm in Tranton Road.

After Waterloo in 1818 an Act of Parliament was passed to raise a million pounds as a national thank-offering for peace, and as a memorial to the soldiers who had fallen. South London secured seven of the so-called Waterloo Churches which it was decided to build with the money, and, through the persistence of a group of Bermondsey churchmen, the needs of our area were pressed, and in 1821 they bought the land which forms our churchyard and secured a generous grant from the Commissioners of the Fund.

Bermondsey churchmen, the needs of our area were pressed, and in 1821 they bought the land which forms our churchyard and secured a generous grant from the Commissioners of the Fund.

The Chairman of the Committee was William Nottidge, a wool-stapler; with him were two brothers, William George and Richard King Watts, tanners; John Harcourt, Thomas Keeton and Martin Carter, all builders, Robert Rich, who commanded the Bermondsey Volunteers and Dr William Harrison, one of the two Chaplains of St Saviour’s, Southwark (now Southwark Cathedral).

Then came 6 years delay – the committee wanted a tower and a spire but there was not enough money. They devised a scheme – to build a crypt under the church in which bodies could be buried; this would provide a steady income. On this security the trustees received permission, by Act of Parliament, to raise £3,000.
With a liberal grant on the part of the parishioners and the gift of the Commissioners, the contract for the building of the church for £21,412.19.5 was signed and the first stone laid on the 21st February, 1827. Dr Sumner, Bishop of Winchester, consecrated the church on May 7th, 1829.

“The building will hold 2,000 persons, of whom 1,200 are accommodated in free seats”. But the spire (copied from Wren’s at St Stephen’s, Walbrook) cost £2,300 more, so in 1831 a new Act of Parliament had to be passed to borrow this further sum. By 1840 the last loan had been repaid and the church was free of debt.

James Savage, the architect, modelled the church on that of Greek Temples with galleries round three sides and the organ in the west. Competent authorities declare that St James’ Church is the finest church built by the Waterloo Churches Commissioners. (Sir John Betjeman)
The lectern and pulpit were built very high to keep the minister in touch with the galleries.

A glorious peal of 10 bells was cast by the famous foundry of Mears of Whitechapel, from cannon left behind by Napoleon at Waterloo. A four-faced striking clock, costing £160, was put in the tower. The Organ, built by J.C. Bishop in 1829 is described later.
Gifts of silver Communion vessels were received from some of the original members of the Committee whose energies resulted in the building of the Church, and the Clock in the West Gallery was given by J.T. Martin.

The Church now built was dedicated to St James but everyone called it Bermondsey New Church. Its grandeur recalling the days when wealthy merchants still lived in Grange Road and Jamaica Road.




St James today

In the last fifteen years the entire church building, including the historic organ and the Ascension picture, has been extensively restored.

The bells once again ring out over Bermondsey each Sunday morning and the Great West Doors are opened wide to welcome the people of the parish to worship the Lord Jesus Christ and hear his Gospel proclaimed.

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!