The coronavirus is shaping our daily lives and WISE16 is offering our online platform to promote messages for the community. In this post we publish a message from Cllr Peter John OBE, leader of Southwark Council asking residents in the borough to stay at home
Please stay at home
Every one of our residents is important to us. You are important to us. But many residents are ignoring national advice and going out when we should all be staying at home as much as we can. This puts us all at risk of COVID-19, especially people who are over 70 or who suffer from ill-health.
We know this is a worrying time, especially if you live alone, and we really want to help. There are lots of volunteers in our communities who want to help too. So instead of going out, please think about other ways to do things. For example:
- Call or video call a friend
- Ask a friend or neighbour to leave some shopping outside your door
- Order an online shop if you can
- When you are shopping please only buy what you need
Find support or advice by visiting www.southwark.gov.uk/covidsupport
If you are sharing information with a resident who is not online, and they need support, they should call 020 7525 5000. Our phone lines are extremely busy so please only call us if you aren’t able to get the help you need online.
- The best way to avoid catching COVID-19 is to wash your hands often with soap and water, or use an alcohol-based sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available.
- Always carry tissues with you and use them to catch your cough or sneeze. Then bin the tissue and wash your hands or use an alcohol-based sanitiser gel.
- Keep your distance from other people – at least 2 metres wherever possible
- If you have a new persistent cough or a high temperature, you must self-isolate (stay home and away from other people) for 7 days. If someone in your home has symptoms you should self-isolate for 14 days.
And remember, if you are very unwell or have symptoms that last longer than 7 days visit www.111.nhs.uk, call NHS on 111, or your local GP.